Click here to view the latest MFL Update
Key stage 3
Year 7 and 8 are taught French or Spanish.
Every student has 5 periods of Languages a fortnight.
Throughout the year students are invited to think how they can transfer their skills to other subjects and in their daily life. They are also being shown how languages are not restricted to the classroom and can be used in the world of work.
KEY STAGE 3
We cover topics such as:
- Where you live / nationality
- What sort of person you are
- School subjects/ time/day at school
- Free time
- Past holidays
- Places in town and shops
- Time and Daily routine
- Culture and History
- Careers with languages
During the year each module is assessed.
Each assessment provides us with levels for the following skills:
After each module tests students are reminded how they could improve their marks.
Vocabulary is EXTREMELY important and there are weekly vocabulary tests.
Key Stage 4
At the end of year 8 students can choose their options.
Students can choose between GCSE French, GCSE Spanish or both if they were in one of the grammar stream groups.
French GCSE / Spanish GCSE – (AQA)
- Students will develop their ability to use French effectively for the purposes of communication and will improve their skills in Speaking, Reading, Writing and Listening.
- Their study of the language should form a sound base for their future work, study and leisure.
- In year 10 and 11 the course is made up from speaking assessment (30%) Written Assessment (30%) both to be done throughout the course, with the 40% remaining taken at the end of Year11 (listening 20% and Reading 20%)
- In year 9 the course is made up from speaking assessment (25%) Written Assessment (25%), listening assessment (25%) and Reading assessment (25%) all to be taken at the end of year 11.
Students have regular homework and have to produce written homework every 2-3 weeks. Marking is thorough and pushes every student to reach their potential.
During the year the students are being given the opportunity to enjoy activities outside the classroom too.
In December year 7 go to the Bruges Christmas market.
In year 8 students are given the opportunities to work with a local business and create a French or Spanish menu for MUMU.
In year 8 students experience different culture during one of their Focus day: the art of henna, Venetian masks, world food ….
WORLD LANGUAGE DAY
In year 8 some students go to the University of Kent to take part in a day of languages workshop for the world language day
Some students in French in y11 will be invited to take part in an exchange which has been going on for ten years with Le Lycée Mistral in Marseille.
Some of our KS3 and KS4 students have the opportunity to attend a workshop held at the BFI in London.
After school GCSE classes
The MFL department is holding regular after school sessions to revise GCSE vocabulary, look at past papers and practise questions both for reading and listening skills.
Our students are very talented and deserve recognition for their talents.
This year Elite linguists will support the department during Open evenings, assemblies…. and will take part in different events organised just for them.
JAMIE POCH BUTLER