In this section...

Special Educational Needs

Please find the answers to frequently asked questions about the SEN department at The Maplesden Noakes school.

What is the Green Room?

The Green Room is the name of the SEN department at Maplesden Noakes. This is where our SENCo, Assistant SENCo and TAs are based. The Green Room is an area within the school where children will be able to access interventions and support.

Who is the SENCo at Maplesden?

The Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) is Miss L Dalmedo.

How does the school support students with an EHCP?

We will hold an annual review and 2 mid-year reviews with the student and parents/carer. During the meeting we will review interventions, outcomes and set new targets. Depending on the need of the student will provide TA support and fortnightly meetings between the student and SENCo/Assistant SENCo.

Will my child receive TA support?

There are TAs in English, Maths, Science and the SEN department. Our TAs are deployed to support students in lessons where a successful application has been made for High Needs Funding. Students in receipt of this funding will have been identified as having a significant need across the curriculum/school.

What interventions/support can you offer?

Our English and Maths departments run academic interventions based on the needs of the cohort. The Green Room currently run the following interventions:

Caseworker – Students are allocated a caseworker for about 8 weeks to support individual needs.

Lexia Power Up – Year 7 students who may require additional support to make progress in their reading, grammar and comprehension the school will identify these students based on relevant testing.

Nurture Group – A small group of students (up to 6) will be invited to take part in our Nurture Group for 12 weeks. Students will be supported to develop their self-esteem and well-being.

Social Communication Skills group – A 6-week intervention to support a small group of students with their social skills.

How will the school support my student with their emotional well-being?

Each year group is allocated a Student Manager and Head of Year to support students on a day to day basis. The school also use a two different mentoring services and a counsellor to support individual students. Students may also be allocated a caseworker, see above.

How does the school support students with Dyslexia?

All teachers use the Open-Dyslexic font with a cream background for the interactive whiteboard to reduce visual stress and to ease reading. If you have obtained a private diagnosis of Dyslexia for you child, the school will implement the strategies advised where possible.

How will the school support my child if I have concerns about potential SEN needs?

In the first instance, please contact the SENCo/Assistant SENCo to discuss actions going forward. The SENCo and Assistant SENCo also run 3 SENCo surgeries per academic year, this offers parents the opportunity to discuss any concerns.

Who do I contact if I am worried about my child at school?

If you need to contact a member of staff, please use the General Enquiries email address. If it is a SEN issue, please address the email to SENCo/ Green Room. For all other enquiries, please address the email to Head of Year and/or Student Manager.

What is in the SEN register?

The school have two registers, internal and external. The external register is for students who have an EHCP, High Needs Funding, significant needs or accessing an alternative provision. The internal register highlights students that may require an extra level of support. Students on the external register are usually allocated a caseworker from the Green Room. Students on the internal register will usually be allocated their form tutor. All caseworkers for students on either register will be offered a caseworker for the academic year.

How do teachers know about my child’s individual needs?

The SENCo liaises with the local primary schools to gain information which will inform a whole school provision map. This is accessed by all staff to recognise strategies to support students in the classroom.


  • *
  • *
  • *
Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now